Did you know that your personal life has a direct impact on your success as a teacher? Yep, it’s true. The more chaos we find ourselves in at home, the harder it is to focus on being the AMAZING teacher we all know we can be. While some of the chaos may be out of our control, there are so many things we can do to make our lives simpler and more enjoyable. Here are my TOP 3 essential life hacks for teachers:
Plan Your Meals!
- Every Saturday, make a list of the meals you are going to eat or cook for the upcoming week. TIP: Try to include a recipe or two that uses only one pot or can be cooked all day in a crockpot. Also, make meals large enough so that they can be eaten at least 2 nights.
- Make a list: Break down your recipes, snacks, breakfasts, and lunches and make a list of everything you need (not including items you already have in your kitchen). TIP: Don’t’ forget about snacks!
- On Sunday, go grocery shopping and get just the items on your list. Not only are you planning ahead, but you are saving a ton of money! When you shop with a list, you spend less. TIP: I HIGHLY recommend using a grocery shopping app. I love to use the app SHIPT. It costs me $15 per month, and there is NO delivery charge if you spend at least $35. This actually saves me even more money because it keeps me out of the grocery store.
- Sunday night, prep all of your lunches for the week. Plus, go ahead and chop veggies, wash your fruit, and prep anything else you know you or your family will be eating throughout the week.
Use a Life Planner
A life planner can act as a place to keep track of everything you have going on in your life. Never forget appointments, birthdays, or special events. It’s also the perfect place to jot down little reminders and keep track of to-do lists!
Once I began using a Life Planner, I felt in control of my life, and it reduced my stress and anxiety.
The One Stop Life Planner Club is a great place to customize a planner that fits your needs (not like those pre-made planners). Plus, as a member of the club, you’ll get updated planners every single year!
Don’t Bring Your Work Home!
- Read this blog post on Time-Management!
- Realize that “work” will never be done and you will always have a to-do list as a teacher. Do what you can and go home. It will be there tomorrow.
- Set boundaries and create new habits. It is vital that you protect your home life. Make a commitment to yourself and your family that you will not bring any work home. Once you stick to this for just a few weeks, you will be surprised at how everything still seems to get done.
These are by far the most effective ways to simplify your life so you can be an even better teacher!