Teaching nonfiction text structure is an essential part of every reading curriculum. However, it can be challenging to find quality resources. This unit provides teachers with a simple way to teach students how to identify, analyze, and compare nonfiction text structures through quality, professionally-written texts. Learn more about this complete unit for teaching nonfiction text structure!
Click below to get the complete unit!
This Nonfiction Text Structure Unit Includes…
- There are 6 Student Notes Pages for teaching each text structure. These half-sheet student notes pages are perfect for gluing in reading notebooks.
- In addition, this unit also includes 11 Student Activities to practice identifying each structure. There are TWO passages and TWO activities for students to complete for each text structure. Students fill in a graphic organizer, identify clue words, and explain why the author wrote the passage.
- Students will use 6 Paired Passage Activities to practice comparing text structures. Each page includes a passage about “bullying” and asks students to identify the text structure and compare it with a different “bullying” passage.
- As a final practice activity, students will complete a Mixed Review Activity/Game. This activity includes 15 cards with different texts and an organizer chart for students to fill in as they read the passages. Students must identify the text structure of each passage and provide evidence for their decision.
- Use the included Text Structure Anchor Chart throughout the unit! – The anchor chart describes each text structure and gives clue words to look for. You can recreate the anchor chart on large chart paper if needed. Students can add the blank chart to their reading notebooks to fill in throughout the unit.
- The Unit Assessment covers all five text structures and some necessary comprehension skills. There are 37 questions and six passages.
- Answer Keys for ALL Activities!!!
- Teaching Tips on how to use each part of this resource!
- ALL texts included were PROFESSIONALLY Written and cover high-interest topics.
Why teachers LOVE this Unit!
- The professionally-written texts provide prime examples of each structure.
- Everything you need to teach Nonfiction Text Structures is included.
- The questions promote students to use analytical thinking.
- A variety of high-interest topics are covered.
- You can simply print the activities and use them instantly. No-Prep!
This resource covers the FIVE main text structures:
- Cause and Effect
- Problem and Solution
- Compare and Contrast
- Chronological Order/Sequence
CLICK below to get the complete unit!
See What Teachers Are Saying…
~ Tammy Jo D.
This unit FINALLY made nonfiction text structures “click” for my students! My students were excited to learn and absolutely nailed their text structures test due to all of the fantastic, in-depth activities in this unit. I will absolutely continue to use this unit for years to come!
~ Devin McDermott
The articles provided are awesome and allow teachable moments that incorporate science and history. My students were so engaged while working on our nonfiction text structure unit utilizing this product!!
~ Janish R.
I am in love with this resource! It is amazing. We spent a whole week focusing hard on nonfiction text structure and this unit had everything we needed.
~ Cassie Dahl