It was love at first sight! Being the control freak that I am (oh wait…I’m pretty sure most of us teachers are), I knew this was the homework strategy for me. Although there were some versions of this homework out there, none of them were exactly what I wanted or needed.
One Stop Teacher Memberships
Our grade-level memberships provide the BIGGEST savings on ALL One Stop Teacher Resources! Get 24/7 access to a library of highly effective, student-approved, educational resources.
My checklist for “the most ideal math homework” went something like this…
- I wanted a variety of problems (not just computation)
- I wanted to review the key concepts I had ALREADY taught. (versions I saw went ahead of my teaching. I didn’t like this because I don’t like the idea of sending home problems I haven’t yet taught my students. This just confuses the kids as well as the parents!)
- The difficulty of the new problems had to progress with my students’ learning (start out easy, and slowly become more rigorous)
- Finally, ANSWERS!!!!! How can I effectively check my students’ work in the morning (or review it as a class) if I don’t have an answer key?
I don’t think this is too much to ask for….is it?
I immediately got to work, and each week I began creating my version of “spiral homework.” It was beautiful!
Looking for DIGITAL Spiral Review? Check out my DIGITAL Spiral Math Homework Blog Post!
Benefits I notice after using Spiral Math Homework
- Less test prep is required at the end of the year.
- Daily practice helps students sharpen their skills.
- Students don’t forget what they have learned.
- It provides me with a daily opportunity to see where my students are still struggling.
- Students are more likely to do their homework because it doesn’t take that long.
- Parents like the predictability of the homework.
- Parents can see exactly what their child needs to know.
- No excuses from parents or students about not completing homework.
- SAVE Paper! 🙂
- Easy to differentiate (edit) so that I can change up the difficulty of questions as needed.